Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shockingly Good

Another Wednesday, another Road Trip.
This week, YA Highway wants to know what you loved reading in October.
I took a wee break from YA this month to read some books that have been on my To-Read list for ages. (And I still haven't finished them.  Why? Because they're on my fake-Kindle, and I realize now that I have a terrible time getting through books on my "laptop version" of Kindle.  I guess I need a REAL Kindle for Christmas.)

But holy canoli, what I did read blew my heart right out of my chest.  This is the innocuous cover:
from here

Lamb is about an 11-year-old girl named Tommie who meets a middle-aged man named David Lamb.  Bonnie Nadzam is a gorgeous writer.  Every line is crafted, but not with the kind of pen that makes you stumble over clunky or outrageous metaphors; her writing is so fluid, you slip down into her deep, dark well of a story and you are lost.  Your soul gets a little lost while you're reading Lamb because this storyworld will encompass you from the moment you meet Tommie.  It is rich and disturbing and necessary reading, as difficult as it may be, for everyone. 

Highly recommended.

12 comments:

  1. I've been mixing in more adult reading lately, so I'll definitely be looking into this one!

    And I'm sorry you're having such ereader isues :( Nothing is worse than being in the mood to read and having some technology get in the way. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very good--I love good stories with gorgeous writing. Thanks for recommending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sounds interesting and I love beautiful prose. You should check out The Bells by Richard Harvell (which was one of my picks for the month) if you're on an adult kick. Gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bells--will check it out. Literally, from the library! I'm saving for Christmas, so I have a heck of a list at the library now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a book is described as "disturbing," I confess that my reflex reaction is to be guarded. I don't mind books pushing me outside my comfort zone, but it's not the place I generally choose to be. However, I can be won over by good writing, so I might give this one a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disturbing does not put me off, to be honest. I'm not into sweet and cuddly books as a rule - although I did recently enjoy reading "Pride And Prejudice" by Jane Austen. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Young girl, older man and the word 'disturbing' has me a bit put off, but also really curious. I'll have to look into this one.

    My pick for this month was Hunger Games, which I finally got to after so many recommended it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donelle and Colin,
    Yes, it's hard to read "disturbing" books. I still haven't had the guts myself to watch PRECIOUS (or read the book PUSH)because of its content. I read LAMB blind--not knowing anything about the plot. But, I must say, LAMB opens people's eyes in a very important way, particularly readers who don't understand how complex these kinds of relationships are. Like I said, it ain't YA and it ain't for kids. I just found it a marvel of a story and appreciate that it was written. (And so dad-gum well.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Donelle: glad you got around to Hunger Games. My favorite of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um...intrigued! Your description left me wanting to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've made me want to add this one to my 'to read' list.

    ReplyDelete