Monday, August 1, 2011


I have a "beta reader" for my YA manuscript in progress.  It forces me to write a chapter a day so I can email it to her and keep my writing mojo strong. I just finished Chapter 15.

I woke up this morning to find this email from my beta reader:
"Oh my goodness!  This book is great!! A page-turner, read in one day kinda great!!!! Can't wait to read what happens next :)!!"

This is not a fifteen-year-old girl.  This is a woman with three children.  That fact alone makes this email perfect.  But let's not neglect the other reason why it made its way into my blog: I love the gratuitous exclamation points (probably because I've been trained not to use them in writing fiction), the fine use of the aptly placed fragment, and the cheerful if not redundant smiley face, just in case she thought she might have understated her enthusiasm.  
I. Love. This. Email.


Thank you, Beta Reader. I'm sending you Chapter 15 today.