Wednesday, August 31, 2011


Road Trip Wednesday
Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:
What's the best book you've read in August?


I know, I know.  I'm sooo late to this game (pun intended), but I finished The Hunger Games early in August.  I'm a relatively new YA reader.  A newbie. A preemie.  I only started reading YA with a lusty appetite in May, but I think I've read some great ones.

But everyone knows that The Huger Games is the cat's pajamas, so I'll offer one more that made me feel very uncomfortable in a good way: Please Ignore Vera Deitz.  This novel is about an almost  18-year-old whose best friend's ghost is haunting her, begging her to clear his name.   She also happens to be in love with him.  She also happens to keep a stash of liquor under the driver's seat while she delivers pizza to deal with her crappy life.  I was shocked, I laughed, and then I was horrified again. It's a YA book on the edge, like so many are now, and it works.  It stays with you.

BONUS: I'm pitching in my own Road Trip Song of the Week because Jessica Love introduced me to this greatness.  It will stick to your brain.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY&feature=player_embedded


19 comments:

  1. I started reading Hunger Games in the book store the other day. It's so good! Can't wait to finish reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Please Ignore Vera right now...I agree, disturbing but good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've heard VERA DIETZ praised but I hadn't read a summary before yours. It sounds amazing! Adding that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, of course I love THE HUNGER GAMES and I've heard some great things about VERA DIETZ. I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out Vera Dietz, but I should probably read Hunger Games first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hunger Games is definitely fantastic. Even my husband, who pretty much exclusively reads non-fiction, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, The Hunger Games is a series I know I can recommend to literally anyone and they will love it. My sister who only reads literary fiction, my husband who prefers computer books and biographies, one of my friends who isn't really into reading at all--they all LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Rebecca, I've heard only great things about VERA DIETZ but I never really knew what it was about. It's on my TBR list, but maybe it deserves a push to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard great things about Vera Dietz. Yet another one to add to the pile! And that song is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it makes you feel any better, I just read the Hunger Games trilogy this summer, too. :) You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear! I'm glad I'm not too late in the "games." Hah, couldn't resist again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read Please Ignore Vera Dietz for some time now, so glad to hear you like it! and of course The Hunger Games is fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may reread the Hunger Games series soon - that is one of my favorite, favorite series.

    And the other one sounds awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to laugh when you said you'd only started reading YA lately--my husband teases me about reading nothing else! Except for some adult books my friends sent me, I don't even shop those sections any longer.

    Are you going to continue on with the rest of the Hunger Games trilogy? I've read them all, but sometimes when I read an outstanding first book I"m afraid the rest in the series won't measure up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, VERA DIETZ sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angelica: yes, I'm going for the trilogy, as soon as I finish the current (adult) book and Divergent, which is next on my list. The YA genre is certainly different from youth lit year ago. A change for the good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the Hunger Games, and I just recently read Vera Deitz too! I enjoyed it, but for some reason it didn't hit home the way I wanted it to. I felt like I should have cried at the end, but then I didn't. Still a good read though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angie: I know what you mean. I felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read The Hunger Games last summer on an airplane. I haven't read Vera Deitz yet, though, so I'll have to add that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete