Monday, May 21, 2012

MiniOperas Galore!

from here

Today is the final day to submit minioperas to the English National Opera. Actually, I'm on Texas time, so the contest for scriptwriters is officially over.

But Twitter and the interworld have seen minioperas bounce into the digital landscape like wee bunnies. My entry, by the way, is here. While procrastinating on today's manuscript word count, I had a little fun digging through the Google tunnels to find some other contestants' entries. I was delighted, impressed, and awed by the creative energy, talent, and discipline of the participants. Way to go!

I thought I'd share a few that I came across. If you like musicals, operas, poetry, lyrics, please hop over to these links and give the contestants your encouraging responses. These are (mostly) just regular folks like me who are trying a hand at a new genre for fun.

Good luck, everyone!

(Oh, you might want to start by reading/listening to the mini-stories that the ENO posted to launch our create machinations here. I based mine on Neil Gaiman's story, as did, apparently, hundreds of others.)

"The Waitress and the Sweeper" by Henry Martin
"Wreckage of Dreams" by Shaun Gardiner
 "The Sweeper of Dreams" by Emily C. A. Snyder
"The Sweeper of Dreams" by Preston Roe
"A Day at the Office" by Katie McCullough
"The Sweeper of Dreams" by David Pasieka
"We Break Your Bones" by Jenny Maloney

I hope they don't my sending traffic to their sites.


Thanks, ENO, for hosting such a fun competition, and congrats, everyone, on your entries!
If you stumbled upon this page and would like to link your mini-opera submission, please do so in the comments section. I'll go back and link it to this post, too.

10 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I love opera, and I am super impressed that so many people tried their hand at it! Loved your entry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy the process.

      Delete
  2. Mini operas, eh? Cool. I always have had an affinity for operas, especially ones I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience, Lori. I loved the challenge, and enjoyed reading your submission. Fun to see the different directions that writers have taken these stories. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valya! If you leave your link, I'd love to read yours.

      Delete
  4. Hallo Lori,

    Thanks for linking to my submission. I too trawled recently to see the responses I could stumble on. Is yours up on the site yet? I'm still waiting for mine to be uploaded. I definitely don't envy the judges sifting through over 500 mini operas. But I loved turning my hand to this! Brilliant competition. Fingers crossed for the both of us.

    Many thanks,

    Katie McCullough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow--I just went to the minioperas site and see the entries you're talking about!

      Delete
  5. Katie,
    Mine is posted here: http://lastephens.blogspot.com/2012/04/and-now-mini-opera.html. I did it near the beginning of the contest. When you say "the site," do you mean a site at ENO? I have not idea how they're going to manage the entries. It looks like they're excited to sift through them all. Fingers crossed, too. I'm unusually excited about it. It WAS fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're still uploading the Will Self stories gradually this week... There are tonnes! I'm going to save reading yours with a cup of tea later, a treat and a rest from writing myself all day.

      I know what you mean about it being fun, I loved stepping out of my comfort zone and tiptoeing into an area I have no clue about. Really enjoyed it actually, I think that's what the ENO were after. They definitely got that from you and I!

      Delete